Wednesday, October 8, 2008

One year ago.....

It was one year ago, from Tuesday, October 7th. Hip hubby and I were with Connor  and Kyle in Austin at a (you guessed it) baseball game.  Cody decided to stay with my mom so that he could go with his friends to the high school football game. Cody and his friends were so excited, they painted their faces with green and black for the game. My mom called me that Saturday night and said that Cody was not feeling good but he still wanted to go to the game. She called me about an hour later and they were at the game and she said that Cody felt like he was going to get sick. I quickly said "get him out of there, cuz I don't want him to get sick in front of his friend". If that happened he would forever be know as the "kid that barfed at the high school football game".
So, I get a frantic phone call from my  mom at 7 a.m on Sunday morning saying that Cody is feeling so bad that he wants her to take him to the hospital. I talk to Cody and I can tell by his voice that he was serious. So my mom takes him to the hospital and I get in the car to drive home. Hip hubby and the boyz stay in Austin. I get a call from my mom and she tells me that the Dr. thinks it's his appendix. So, I step on it putting the petal to the metal and I can clearly remember being flipped off by a truck with 3 men in it who had been hunting. They all had on their hunting attire. So, I proceed to slow down a bit.....calling my mom every 2 seconds.....I think I made it to the hospital in record time. The doc says that he wants to run some more test......so, 6 hours later.....we are still waiting....Cody at this point is cracking me up, cuz he is on morphine. Hip hubby at this point had borrowed some friends car and was driving back home. So after waiting about 7-8 hours the doc finally says "YES" he is having an emergency appendectomy. Now, I start to FREAK OUT.....where is hip hubby, all Cody wanted now was his dad. So after another hour of waiting for the operating room, hip hubby arrives. By this point I was so made because the poor kid had been in pain all day. The staff at the hospital assures me that everything is going to be a.o.k. Of course, Cody had to be sick on a SUNDAY, when the hospital operates at 1/2 staff and that is what took soooooo long to get an operating room. By this time, I just wanted to lick Cody's I.V. of morphine, so I could feel no pain.  The surgery went great. By 11 p.m. we were in a room. Of course, they did not have any private-room's, even Hip Hubby was trying to bribe someone for a private room. It just was not going to happen. The only saving grace was that I was tired I could have cared less about sleeping on a fold out chair that makes into a bed, and I use the word" bed" loosely.  Monday morning we got our first visitor Michelle at michellesloosewheel her mom was in the same hospital and she stopped by to visit.  Then the boyz showed up. They had been calling all day and both of them had be crying, cuz they were so worried about Cody. They were so sweet. 
Cody was the best patient. He had a revolving door of visitors. I think the nurses came in several times and had to ask people to leave, so he could rest. So all is well and Cody recovered. The funny thing about this story is I got the mail yesterday (one year ago to the day of the surgery) and there was a refund check from the hospital. I guess with us and our insurance we had over payed. Wow, hospitals are slow on refunds......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... I was in tears as I read this story about Cody. Glad everything turned out okay. What a brave kid. The morphine lick made me smile! ~Jill :)

THE Stephanie said...

Now THAT is funny! Not the surgery part, but the money part... yea, I guess they do take their sweet time, don't they??

Shanan Strange said...

Don't you wish they would let us lick morphine drips all the time? What a wonderful world it would be! Ha ha. Jake had his appendix out too and it's nice now because I don't worry that every tummy ache is a ruptured appendix. As far as the other two kids, I still worry.. a lot!
Your word verification was baghead. I thought that was pretty funny. Gee, I hate those things.

Anonymous said...

Gosh--has it been a year. It was a scarey time to be in charge and something like that happened. Thank goodness you were close--Gramie is OK to have around but Mom and of course Dad are so much better. Glad that is over..

NO more on my watch , please..

Love

Mom

lowleeta said...

ah! it reminds me of jon this summer when he had to have the emergency appendectomy. you're right! it was SO scary. i felt so bad. he was in so much pain... and its soooo slow at the emergency room. boo. and i do not miss sleeping in those hospital chairs. thank goodness though for modern medicine!!!